For more information about Price click HERE.
News Advocate - 22 Oct 1925
January 1, 1879 dawned somewhat bright and clear, as the winter so far had been mild and very little snow had fallen up to that time, and the spirit of the hardy and venturesome pioneers was not stilled, as the mountain passes and canyons were still accessible to travel.
Along in the first week of this year Caleb Rhodes, Frederick Jr. Grames, Alfred Grames and Charles Grames left Salem, Utah county, to explore what was then known as Castle Valley. After some difficulties encountered in road making, removing timbers and crossing the Spanish Fork and Price canyons, they arrived at what is known as the Rhoades meadow, about three miles north west of Price City, on January 21, 1879.
A dugout was made on the south side of the bank along the north side of the meadow for a place of shelter until a log cabin could be constructed for a better home. A few days later Fred E. Grames came further down the river and located at what is now known as the J. M. (Tobe) Whitmore farm due west of Price City. The same kind of a dwelling was constructed until logs could be gathered up for the building of the usual pioneer log cabin, which was followed up very shortly after wards, as the weather would permit.
Rhoades had visited this section of the country a few years previous hunting and trapping, and undoubtedly saw a future development as settlers would come, which was soon to be realized, for on March 9, 1879, Levi Simmons, William Z. Warren, and Thomas Caldwell arrived on the scene from Spanish Fork, and on March 12, Robert A. Powell, William Davis and James Gay, of Salem, Utah, arrived, and on April 1, John A. Powell, Sarah J. Powell and Lyman Curtis of Salem arrived and commenced to spread up and down the river bottoms.
As spring opened up came the preparation for planting grain and vegetables. In March a water level had been constructed out of coal oil can, which consisted of a tube about three feet six inches long and about one and a half inches in diameter with a small lamp chimney placed at each end to enable the surveyor to look over the top of the water, this was placed on a tripod made of cotton wood sticks, and with this instrument the Rhoades ditch (Pioneer Ditch No. 1) was surveyed and constructed for about two and a half miles. Also the Fred Grames ditch (Pioneer Ditch No. 2) for nearly the same distance.
Food was not so plentiful and as was the custom of all early pioneers they had to resort to the hunting of wild game and many, many meals consisted of only venison. As horses were scarce those days, oxen had to be brought under yoke and the tedious plodding along had to be endured in the clearing and plowing of the soil.
Some wheat, oats, corn and potatoes were planted and a fair harvest gathered in. The old cradle had to be used in the cutting of the grain and the flayed used in threshing it out, and the old time coffee mill to grind it in to make the corn mush and brown bread.
In 1880 came Jense Peterson and wife, Chris Peterson, Gilbert Peterson, Charles P. Johnson, Green Allred, Geo. Downard, William Downard, Jake Kofford, William J. Warren and Mathew Simmons.
Castle Valley, as it was known, was under the territorial domain of Utah, and was little known of, only as a rendezvous of Indians. However, in February, 1880, it was created into a county and called Emery county, in honor of George W. Emery, then governor of Utah.
January 2, 1881, Albert J. Grames arrived and during March of the year, grading for the Rio Grande Western railroad commenced. Then during the next three years brought many settlers into the vicinity of Price, including the Frandsens, Birches, McIntires, Empeys, Olsons, Robbs, Bryners, Mathises, Horsleys, Eldredges, Branches, Paces, Coxes, Whitmores, Ballingers and others too numerous to mention in this sketch.
Many hardships were endured during these early years, incidental to pioneer life.
In November, 1882, there being quite a number of members of the dominant church here, a ward was organized with George Frandsen Sr., as bishop. Grading and track laying was now very well along towards completion. Price townsite had been surveyed into city lots. Fred E. Grames built a frame building that stood close by the Whitmore farm gates until a year ago, and started in the mercantile business from a stock of goods purchased from a commissar moving from the grading camp, consisting of bacon, tea, coffee, tobacco, sugar and a few minor articles such as overalls and a few stogie shoes and spools of thread.
During April, 1883, track laying was completed from Deseret, just east of Green River, to Salt Lake City and Ogden, and trains were first run through Price between May 1 and 15, 1883. The regular train service between Grand Junction and Ogden on May 17, 1883, and shortly after this date Price was named as a station on the line.
Just before the regular train service was established, the construction train gathered up all the settlers they could along the river and took them for a free excursion down to about Mounds and back, to the great delight of all.
August 30, 1883, the first postoffice was established at Price with Frederick E. Grames as postmaster, Albert J. Grames the mail carrier and chief clerk, at a salary of twelve dollars per month. The train from the east arrived at 11 o'clock p.m., sometimes a little later, on account freshets and the one from the west was due at 5 p.m., so, Price, Utah, was then on the map.
Joseph Birch, established the R. R. Eating Place and served meals to the railroad workers and passengers as opportunity afforded. Erastus W. McIntire was appointed Justice of Peace. In January, 1884, the people commenced to occupy the townsite by building a log meeting house twenty feet wide and forty feet long. A picture of same can be seen on the drop curtain in the basement of the tabernacle. This was used for Sunday service, school room and courthouse for many years.
A number of log and adobe houses were soon erected. Price school district was organized with William H. Branch, George W. Eldredge and John D. Leigh trustees, William J. Tidwell, teacher.
In 1884 the Price Water company organized and commenced the construction of the canal to bring water to the town Price began to grow. Early in the year of 1885 another store was started by Alma T. Angell in a little log room on the lot east of the city hall. There being not sufficient business for two stores, the latter closed down, and Mr. Angell went on a mission to the state for the L.D.S. church. He being the first missionary from these parts.
In August, David Williams of Scofield came to Price and purchased the Fred Grames business and commenced on a large scale. Settlers began to move out of the dugouts and temporary shelters to build homes in the town site. The Gilsonite Asphaltum company established a mercantile store in 1886. S.S. Jones bought out Williams & Sons company. In February 1887, L. M. Olsen erected the Emery County Mercantile company building and commenced business. William H. Branch was elected county _____ for Emery county.
May, 1887, the Price Water company canal completed to the east side of town and water flowed through, relieving the inhabitants from hauling water in barrels for domestic purposes from the river which they so done for nearly four years. With the coming of water, the town began to grow, orchards and gardens spring up all around, trees were planted all along the sidewalks. In November 1890, the Price Trading company organized with C. H. Taylor, J. M. Whitmore, A. Ballinger and Carl Valentine as incorporators.
In 1891 the first newspaper published in the county was the Eastern Utah Telegraph, by Isaac Paradise and Mr. Sarvis, S. K. King as editor.
On July 14, 1892, a petition signed by three hundred and eight persons and presented to the country court of Emery county by A. Ballinger. Price town was organized on the eighth day of November 1892. A general election was held and J.M. Whitmore was elected president, Henry G. Mathis, John H. Pace, Seren Olsen, trustees, A. Ballinger, clerk and treasurer.
On January 4, 1894, a petition was circulated to create Carbon county, out of a portion of Emery county and on January 7, was presented to the Utah state legislature and finally granted and the bill signed March 8, 1894, by Governor Caleb B. West. On May 1, 1894 an election was held to elect officials and designate the county seat. P.C. Lee, T. P. Gridley, P. Santachi, selectmen, H. A. Nelson, clerk and recorder. D. W. Holdaway, assessor and treasurer, L. M. Olsen, probate judge, Joseph W. Davis, school superintendent.
Tax valuation of Carbon county in 1894 was $888,915.00, producing a revenue of $9,376.94. The city hall was built in 1895 by popular subscription. In 1901 and 1902 an eight room brick house was built. In 1902 the Price Cooperative Mercantile Institution was organized. In 1908 and 1909 Carbon county court house was built at a cost of $75,000. In 1910 the railroad depot west of Main street was burned. A new one was built on South 8th street in 1911-1912.
In April, 1911, Price was incorporated as a city of the third class with electric lights. The Savoy hotel was built in the fall of this year and also the county school district and high school buildings erected in January, 1916, the large brick building school house in the center of the two grounds burned down, making necessary the building of the two very splendid ones in the different parts of the city.
I'll say Price has certainly grown, with her water system, telephone, electric lights, paved streets and sidewalks, hotels, theaters, mercantile establishments, newspapers, and splendid residences, not forgetting the beautiful church edifices, in which all the inhabitants can meet, give thanks and devotion to the Giver of all Good.
A prediction was made forty three years ago that Price would become the metropolis of eastern Utah, and it looks as if it will be fulfilled.
Price City has now, October 17, 1925, a valuation of $2,751,000 bringing revenue for this year of $63,300.00. The revenue from licenses, light and water, etc, was $18,000.00
The Carbon county valuation of 1925 was $27,091,175. The total tax was $741, 859.62.
The first article Early History of Price appeared in the News Advocate the 22 Oct 1925. This following article was written on May 28, 1929, three and one half years later. The article was the same with two exceptions and several paragraphs that follow:
The second article then continues on as follows:
......On September 29th, last, this writer had a talk with Charles W. Grames, who told me he came with Caleb B. Rhodes and Frederick E. Grames to Price in January, 1879, and settled on ground traded for with Green Allred. He made this his home. It is located close to where Gordon Creek empties into the Price River, just a short distance west of this city. This is now owned by the Paces. Grames afterwards went up to the head of Gordon Creek. He made a home there and lived on it for several years. He is now over 73 years of age.
The population of Price town is 1892 was 308. Estimated in 1928 at 4700. Revenue of the city for its first year, $835.10. Price City valuation in (1928) was $2,720,657. Revenue for taxes, $6,759.00; water, $31,759; licenses, $12,614.00 and electric lights, $131,417.05.
Still living of the original pioneers are Charles W. Grames in the Nine Mile section of Carbon County; Sarah Jane Powell at Price and Rachael J. Powell at Salt Lake City.
Price was named for William Price, the first bishop of Goshen and who explored this section in 1865. (sb 1869) The first child born here was Betsy Powell McKendrick on September 18, 1880. The second was Frank Williams, September 28, 1880. First school taught on the Price River was by Sally Ann Olsen-Mrs. Peter Isaac Olsen - now of this city. The woman living the longest here is Rachel Davis Powell, who came on June 6, 1879. Living the longest number of years in Price, Albert W. Grames. The most persistent boosters in the early days were Arthur W. Horsley and Alpha Ballinger. First person to be buried in the Price cemetery, John J. Mathis, June 6, 1886. The oldest man in years now living here is John Dwyer, whose home is south of the Denver and Rio Grande Western tracks and Sarah Jane Powell.
What have I done? Helped to make the roads, build the bridges, have killed a few snakes, helped to make the canals, erect school houses, churches, courthouses and jails. Planted some of the first shade and fruit trees. Helped to care for the living and to bury the dead and have served in a number of civic positions.
Price's first electric lights were put in by The Sun (newspaper), R. W. Crockett and J. A. Crockett, owners, about eighteen years ago. It was their own plant. Gasoline power. The exact date is not obtainable.
List of Agents of the Denver and Rio Grande at Price, Utah
Postmasters of Price
Telegraph Operators At Price
Return to Towns Page
Price Town Incorporation
Orange Seely - Probate Judge
Filed and recorded March 26, 1894
by Carl Wilberg, Probate Clerk
Transcribed from page 127 Book "A" Incorporations of the Emery Co. Records.
To the Hon. The County Court of Emery County, Utah Territory
The undersigned your petitioners respectfully state, that we are a majority of the taxpayers of the town of Price in Emery County, Utah Territory and we reside within the boundaries of said town as hereinafter set forth. That said town has a population of more than three hundred residing within the boundaries hereinafter mentioned as shown by the census and affidavit hereinto attached and make "exhibit A" and has abundant resources with which to support a town corporation. That we desire to incorporate and organize a town under the name of Price and to embrace within its corporate limits the following described lands. The South half of the South east quarter of Section 16. The South half of the south west quarter of Section 16 (The same being school lands and not entered). The south east quarter of the south east quarter of Section 17 being desert land entry No. 1317. The East half of the north east quarter of Section 20 being apart of homestead entry 5300. The north half of Section 21 embracing a part of Homestead entry No. 5301 and all of cash lands entry No. 3065 all in Township 14 south of Range 10 East of the Salt Lake Meridian in Emery County, Utah Territory and all except the portion of Section 16 mentioned having been entered in the United States Land office at Salt Lake City, Utah. The boundaries of said town to be as follows: commencing at the south east corner of the north east quarter of Section 21 in the aforesaid township and Range and running then in North 240 rods more or less to the north east corner of the south east quarter of the south east quarter of Section 16. Thence west 400 rods more or less to the north west corner of the south east quarter of the south east quarter of said section 17. Thence south 240 rods more or less to the south west corner of the southeast quarter of the north east quarter of said section 20; thence east 400 rods more or less to the place of beginning.
Therefore; we hereby petition your Honorable body to declare the said town a body corporate and politic under the name and style of Price within boundary lines as hereinbefore set out and to that end you issue the necessary order in the premises respectfully;
|H. G. Mathis A. Ballinger C. H. Valentine J.M. Whitmore Emmet Lynch E.S. Horsley C. H. Taylor Orlin Fausett A.E. Gibson W.W. Johnson J.B. Millburn P.I. Olsen L.A. Warren Geo. Frandsen C.W. Sabin T.G. Mead||J.B. Moore for H and Moore E.H. Empey Samuel Cox Chas Marsh Ralph Horsley John Morrison E. Anderson O.H. Barlow Mrs. E. Mathis Price Trading Co. Seren Olsen S. I. Paradice Henry Fiack George Fausett L.A. Humphrey W.A. Tremblay||H.C. Bryner M. Connor Gilson Asphaltum Co. Heber Frandsen Lars Frandsen A.W. Horsley M.L. Snow J.H. Pace Geo. Robb C.F. Jensen Albert Bryner H.B. Horsley A.J. Grames E.W. McIntire Ras Frandsen Erastus Olsen|
Ernest S. Horsley, Arthur E. Gibson and Charles H. Taylor being first duly sworn depose and say each for himself the persons hereinafter named now inhabit the town of Price and reside within the boundaries set out in the petition hereto attached viz:
|Zina Connor Geo. Robb Zina, Connor Geo. Robb Caroline Robb Mary A. Robb Wm. Robb Ada Robb Vester Robb Blanch Robb C.H. Empey Koziah Empey Edward Edward Stewart Susan Stewart Mary Empey C.H. Empey, Jr. E.S. Horsely Mary J. Horsley A. W. Horsley Margaret A. Horsley Sarah Horsley Arthur S. Horsley Samuel Cox Sarah G. Cox Sarah Warren Hubbard Warren H.A. Atkinson Maud Anderson Parley Anderson Maud Anderson Parley Anderson Charley Young Catharine Young Carl Bott Mary Bott Aferhart Bott Emelin Bott Walter H. Kelsey Jeanetta Kelsey Thomas W. Kelsey Florence Kelsey Henry Kelsey Ester Kelsey Daniel Kelsey Louis Kelsey Clarence Olsen E. Ellenor Olsen Oswaha F. Barlow Dorathie Barlow Oswald F. Barlow Henrietta Barlow Dorathie S. Barlow Jesse Barlow Catharine Barlow Charles W. Allred J. M. Whitmore J. M. Whitmore Ellen K. Lyman Hannah Whitmore Lawrence Whitmore Ida Whitmore June Whitmore Vione Whitmore Mason Snow Will Pettine Bethine Morsden Joe S. Nixon W.W. Johnson Mrs. H. Johnson Willie Johnson S.I. Paradice E.J. Allred Roy Allred Soren Allred Lon Allred S.A. Lyman Soren Olsen Emily Olsen Albert A. Lyman Bertha Olsen Serena P. Olsen Mary Olsen Minnie M. Atkinson Walter Atkinsin Olive Atkinson Dr. J.S. Hoyt M.E. Hoyt M. Connor William Burgess Jane Burgess Wm. Burgess Jr. Sophrona Burgress John Burgess Della Burgess Emma J. Burgess Bertha Burgess Effin Burgess C.H. Taylor Don Corbitt Lydia Corbitt Louis Corbitt Mary Connor Nora Connor||Erastus Anderson Mary Anderson David Anderson Martha L. Anderson Blanch Anderson Hannah Anderson Lula Anderson Leo Anderson Joseph Anderson Florence Anderson Mesha McIntire Mesha McIntire E.W. Mclntire, Jr. Joseph McIntire Jennie McIntire Elsie McIntire Brig McIntire J.H. Sarvis J.G. Mead Emmet Lynch Albert Grames Alice Grames Orson Grames Catharine Grames Mrs. C.H. Taylor Willie Taylor Katie Taylor George Fausett C.H. Valentine Maggie A. Valentine Hazel V. Valentine Ethel Valentine Louis A. Warren Sarah A. Warren James O. Fausett Vira Fausett Henry Fiack Sarah Fiack Violet Fiack Peter Olsen Sallie A. Olsen Christine Anderson Ella C. Branch Richard Branch Olive Branch Jennie Branch Frank Branch Arabelle Branch Ella I. Branch Erastus Olsen Sarah M. Olsen Lars Frandsen Olive Anderson Miller Haymond Miller Haymond Myra Haymond Lyman Haymond Vera Haymond Earl Haymond John Morrison Mrs. John Morrison Clarence Morrison Pearl Morrison J.B. Hutchinson Pat Markey Alice Markey Pat Markey Alice Markey Pat Markey Francis Olsen Stephen Olsen Ira G. Olsen A. Ballinger Ella Ballinger Glen Ballinger Rosa Davis H.B. Horsley Manda Horsley Florence Horsley Alice Henderson Dora Connor George Frandsen Anna Frandsen Heber Frandsen Lena Frandsen Rasmus Frandsen Carrie Frandsen Vida Lynch Nellie Trurman Nellie Allen H.W. Saddler E.W. McIntire Mrs. E.W. McIntire Dor McIntire Maggie McIntire Isabella McIntire Edith McIntire Della McIntire James Powell Rhoda Pace Frank Nickerson Hariet Nickerson Frank Nickerson Charles Nickerson||George Nickerson Kate Nickerson Raymond Nickerson Peter Peterson Gilbert Peterson Annie Peterson Rinda Peterson Levi Peterson Cane Johnson John Johnson Nellie Robb J.M. Lake Margaret Lake A.E. Gibson Mrs. A.E. Gibson Joe Jones Maria Jones Maggie Jones James Jones Earnest Jones Maggie Jones Armanda Horsley Mrs. Phebe Lynch June Bryner Mrs. J.B. Millburn L.F. Mead May Pace Erastus Peterson Edith Pace Annie Peterson Mary Bryner James Bryner P.H. Sparks Lillie Bryner W.M. Chase Edith Bryner U. Bryner Mariah Bryner Annie Bryner Willis Bryner Annie McIntire Mariah Jensen Lena McIntire Annie Jensen Chas. March John McIntire Nelson A. McIntire Emma McIntire Mary Ann McIntire Morley McIntire Ralph Horsley Herman C. Bryner Albert Horsley Jennie Ryan Isabelle Bryner J.B. Milburn Herbert Milburn Pauline Pace Mary Ann Peterson Alex Pace Nettie Peterson Marian Pace Mrs. L.M. Olsen Will Hayes Rose Bryner Wm. Tremblay Alma Bryner Mrs. C.W. Sabine Albert Bryner Josaphine Bryner Pearl Bryner Frank McIntire C.F. Jensen Oscar McIntire Martin Jensen Henry G. Mathis Retta Buner Ella Empey Deseret Warren Fred Past Emily Buner Irvon Buncer Edith Bryner Ada Bryner Henry Bryner J.B. Moore Hory Bryner John H. Pace Jens Peterson Ray Pace L.M. Olsen L.M. Olsen, Jr. Enoch Bryner J. Hansen Margaret Bryner C.W. Sabine Henry Bryner John Bryner Frank Bryner Mrs. B. McIntire Sechacy Peterson Willie McIntire Steve Jensen Mary Mathis Jo. Buner C.M. Haymond|
Three hundred and eight (308) persons in all
Charles H. Taylor
Subscribed and sworn to before me this 8th day of July, 1892
A. Ballinger, Notory Public
Filed and recorded July 1, 1892
The following newspaper article appeared in the Sun Advocate on August 7, 2003 page 11A.
By Richard Shaw, Staff reporter
Almost everyone thinks they know how the city of Price got its name. In most books and references the story goes that the city got its name from the river that runs through it.
That river was named by William Price, an LDS bishop from Spanish Fork who was one of the first white men to explore Spanish Fork Canyon. When he found the Price River he supposedly named it after himself, and later the town took that name on.
But there are at least two other stories that claim to be correct, that reflect on the beginnings of the community.
The first is about a man name Tom Price. He died in 1945 at the age of 102 while residing in Browning, Mont.
Price was a western wanderer, but a well educated man. A surveyor and engineer by trade, one of the highlights of his career was said to have been doing civil engineering around the Carbon County area (then Emery County), particularly around the new little settlement on the river.
Born in Scotland, he was educated at the University of Edinburgh and traveled around the west helping people set up their towns. But the man didn't stay in the area after he was done. He found that the wide open sky of Montana was more to his liking.
In the 1930's some of Prices town officials invited him back for an anniversary of the founding of the city, but he didn't come because he always seemed to dislike the limelight.
When he was 88 he was elected the county engineer in Glacier County, Mont. and served for four years.
There are indications that because of his work and the surveys he left behind the city was named after him.
One other auspicious story is also told about how the city was named. It was named based on commerce.
When the railroad first came through the area, there weren't many settlers in the Price area, but those who were here, of course, sold goods and produce to the railroad men passing through.
The story goes that the prices the residents asked for everything was extremely high and soon railroaders began to refer to the place in jokes as "high price."
Of course peoples propensity to shorten names soon kicked in, and not long after they began to refer to the city by the small river as "Price."
Which is correct? No one knows for sure, although some will claim to know. It's just another of those small mysteries that may never be solved.
Sun Advocate, Thursday, Dec. 3, 1936
Tribute to the memory of one of the first pioneer settlers of this valley, Abraham Powell who built the first house in Carbon county, has been rendered in the form of a monument by the local Explorer Scout Troop with William Campbell as scoutmaster, and constructed approximately 1000 feet west of the actual site near the Price-Huntington highway south of Price.
Built of Stone
The monument is in the form of an early-type house and is built of stone and cement. A granite tablet of explanation is enscribed on the front of the monument which in itself is easily available from the road.
Campbell said work has been underway for the past month with the Scouts spending a few days a week in its behalf. Cost is given as about $60 finance by the troop.
A short historical biography of Powell reveals that he was born in Ogden in 1855, the son of Mr. and Mrs. James and Jannie Powell, early Utah pioneers who crossed the plains in 1850. At the age of 18 he began to explore the different sections of this territory where scarcely a white man would venture any distance from his home either hunting or trapping because of the Indian Wars.
Here For Winter
Tired of trapping, Powell along with Caleb Rhodes, moved to Spanish Fork Canyon, then on to Soldier Summit and then continued down Price river where they made their camp for the winter approximately 1000 feet west of the present site of the monument, and built the first crude house in the county, in 1877. The only living people that populated Castle Valley in those days were bands of nomadic Indians who made their living by stealing cattle and horses from early residents of Sanpete, Sevier and Utah counties. They infested Castle Valley seeking suitable hiding places.
Killed by Bear
Powell was killed in 1878 in an encounter with a big grizzly bear on Mount Nebo, about 30 miles southeast of Provo. Before he died, he told his brother, John Powell, about his place in this section and asked him to reclaim the land indicating it would be a valuable place in the years to follow. At present approximately 60 acres are in the city limits of Price.
All the living decendants of Powell who possess property in and about this section have extended their thanks to Mr. Campbell and his troop for erecting this monument in commemoration of the first house built in Carbon County.
The biographical sketch was furnished Campbell by Abe Powell, one of the decendants of the early pioneer at present a resident of Price.
I learned about this monument in 2008 and have been unable to learn the location of the house and the location of the monument until today, 9 October 2009. Today I learned the rest of the story........
In 1877 when the first settlers came to Castle Valley the Price River flowed in a different course. Referring to the map on the right the first cabin was built in the parking lot of the Fairmont Supply Co. The Fairmont Supply Company parking lot ran along the edge of the Price River. The monument was situated on the corner of South Carbon Avenue and 600 South. When south Carbon Avenue was widened and became the main route out of Price the monument was knocked over and destroyed. The plague on the monument was saved and is still in existance.
In August of 2012 this monument was placed in the new Price Walkway at the corner of South Carbon Avenue and Highway 6. The marker says: "Reestablished marker recognizing the first cabin built in Price by Abraham Powell in 1877. Original marker was at 600 South Carbon Avenue. December 22, 2011. Price Centennial 1911-2011." The original stone is included in the monument.
The monument was created by a boy scout for his eagle scout project. The blue X on the map marks the location of the new monument.
We, your petitioners, residents and tax-payers of Scofield Precinct, would respectfully represent to your Honorable Body: That the following tract of land, being a part of the Precinct of Scofield, contains more than three hundred inhabitants, and we, your petitioners, hereby pray that the said described land may by your Honorable Body be declared a Body Corporate and politic under the name and style of the Town of Scofield.
That said Town may be granted all the rights and privileges of Towns incorporated under Chapter XII, Vol. 1, Compiled Laws of Utah.
That said Town may include the following lands: The SE 1/4 Section 32, Township 12, South of Range 7 East, and Lots 1, 3 and 4 of Section 5, Township 13, South of Range 7 East, known as the "Wye." Also S. 1/2 of NW 1/4 Section 5, Township 12, South of Range 7 East, being lands belonging to S. J. Harkness: and we, your petitioners, as in duty bound will ever pray.
|S. J. Harkness, Justice of the Peace D. D. Green Patterson Loveridge Alex Johnson J. K. Parcell Chris Jensen E. W. Curtis Lee Gordon Isaac Morgan J. W. Jones Samuel Davis Thomas F. Davis William E. Lewis John E. Ingles David Eccles W. Ingles P. Eccles Lauritz Peterson Lafayette Granger O. G. Kimball John W. Newren J. H. Lynn D. Wright W. H. Sherman J. S. Patterson A. Hood A. J. Watson T. J. Lewis Thomas P. Page A. H. Earll James Tucker E. F. Cunningham B. R. McDonald||T. H. Thomas Samuel Padfield Hyrum Richards Edwin Jones David J. Reese W. C. Burrows Hugh Hunter T. B. Finney Richard Hunter J. H. Lewis F. H. Mereweather John Potter William Leyshon Sarah Rosser Joseph S. Thomas Richard T. Evans Lewis Miller T. J. Parmley Jake Carrick William Edwards Thomas M. Richards Charles Young R. McKechny J. M. Beatie J. C. Evans Harry Evans John Q. Evans Thomas Cox William Cox George Cox Joseph Cox Daniel Pitman Isaiah Llewellyn||John F. Price Evan Williams John Lloyd Joseph Castle Thomas F. Hardee John Samuels George A. Wilcox C. A. Robbins J. A. Burrows Thomas L. Reese John Webber William Fuller Harry Davis R. E. Parcell J. W. Metcalf John Patterson James Gatherum John F. Anderson Christian J. Jensen Frank Strang Lars Jensen Jensen Hazzard David Burrows Jones Russell Robert Hunter A. J. Nolton Adam Hunter Charles Sneddon John Hunter Andrew Hunter Reese Lloyd John W. W. Lloyd Thomas Hardee|
Territory of Utah, County of Emery
I, Carl Wilburg, Recorder in and for said County, do hereby certify that the foregoing petition for a town government for Scofield, Utah Territory, is a tru copy of the petition as filed and recorded in my office, March 15, 1893, at ten o'clock a.m.
Witness my hand and Seal at Castle Dale, Utah, this fifteenth day of March, 1893.
Carl Wilberg, County Recorder