Photographs of Castle Gate

These photographs on this page have been reduced in size to about 1 1/2 inch x 1 inch. Links to the photographs have been added. If you click on the photo a larger image will open up on a new screen. If you use Google Chrome Hover Zoom+ or Foxfire Thumbnail Zoom Plus you will be able to point your mouse at the photo and see a larger size photo without the photo opening on a new page.

If you see a photograph here that you would like a larger picture of e-mail Kathy Hamaker. I'd be happy to e-mail you the photo file so you can print it out on your computer. Please be sure to include the file name and file location on your e-mail. If you have any photographs in your possession that you would like to donate I'd be happy to add them to the webpage.

Denise Sealey Collection

Train
Name: Train - Location: CastleGate/DeniseSealey/trainCastleGate

A train passing through the Castle Gate rock formation.

Pearl Stagg Collection

Name: Relief Society Sisters - Location: Castle Gate/Pearl Stagg/Relief Society

Front row right to left: (Past presidents) Dessie Durrant, Marie Gilbert, Violet Ross, Pres. Annie Huff, 1st coun. Ruby Taylor, 2nd coun. Elaine Miller, Sec. Tres., Agness Harrison. Middle Row left to right: Alice Foote, Mrs. Green, Inez Robertson, Elaine Hardy, Tressia Johnson, Mary Babcock, Josephine Houghton, Pearl Stagg. Back Row right to left: Ruth Johnson, Elanor Nougaret, Thalia Thacker, Mary Wilstead, Jennie Neilson, Mable Peterson, Sylvia Barney, Pearl Wilstead, Clea Davis, Virginia Lewis
Name: Utah Fuel Mechanical Force #2 mine, July 19, 1951 - Location: Castle Gate/Pearl Stagg/miners

Front row: John Houghton, Clyde Petersen, H. E. Ford, George Haslam, Same Clegg, Charles Huff, Joe Slavensky, Lefty Slavensky, Earl Warren, Tom Bendall, Steve Zaccaria, Frank Mongone, Jimmy Evans, Rudy Vuksinik, Mel Webb, Al Wahl
Back row: Tony Murasco, Albert Stagg, Clint Snow, Roy Fiack, Vic Walkington, James McDonald, John Rolando, Frank Aime, Reed Burnum, John Aquirre, Goldie Mellor, Jack Bailey, Richard Ariotti, Tom Harrison, Remo Etzel
Name: Independent Coal and Coke Shop Crew 1961 - Location: Castle Gate/Pearl Stagg/workmen

Front row left to right: Albert Stagg, John Aquirre, Bill Perri, Richard Ariotti
Back row: Ross Perri, Alfred Regrutto, Glyn Matthews Jr., August Polastro, Glyn Matthews, Bill Malaska, Don Newberry
File: Postcard of Castle Gate #1 - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/#1 panorama

On the back of the card it reads: Dear Bess, I can mail you a picture of CG they are all marked. 1 is where they dump the coal. 2 is the store. 3 is the butcher shop (s/b mine buildings) 4 is the (old) school house
.
Name: Postcard of Castle Gate #2 - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/#2 panorama

On the back of the card it reads: 1. the hospital 2. Is the hall where we dance and have the picture shows.
Name: Postcard of Castle Gate #3 Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/#3 panorama

On the back of the card it reads: The rows behind the amusement hall.
Name: Postcard of Castle Gate #4 - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/#4 panorama

On the back of the card it reads: 1. is where I live. What do you think of it. rather pretty for a place of this kind don't you ___. If you show these to Jack he will explain them to you. Additional note from Pearl: Houses above the rows. Our house is the one next to the double house in center of picture on left side.
Name: Coke Oven Row - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/Coke oven row

This section of town is known as Coke Oven Row.
Name: 1948 LDS Primary organization - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/1948 Primary

All the children are dressed in Hawaiian Luau clothes, pioneer clothes or like Indians with a feather in a headband.
Name: Company Store & depot - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/company store & train depot

A good picture of the back of the company store, a portion of the meat market and the train depot.
Name: Confectionary - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/confectionary

An early photo of the confectionary before the stairs were moved to the side of the building.
Name: Point of Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/end of Castle Gate

Looking at the point of the Castle Gate. There is a young boy in the very front of the picture.
Name: Hospital in summertime - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/hospital1

Hospital in the summertime
Name: Hospital in wintertime - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/hospital2

Hospital in the wintertime. There is a man on the sidewalk in the front.
Name: Hospital in the Fall - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/hospital3

This photo of the hospital looks like it was taken in the fall and shows more of the side of the hospital.
Name:Main Street - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/main street

Looking down the main street and includes the hospital, the gazebo and the homes.
Name:Main Street - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/meat market & hospital

Looking down the main street at the hospital and the gazebo but it has the corner of the meat market.
Name: Pearl Staff & sister - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/Pearl & sister

Pearl Stagg and her sister.
Name: Train - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/train and tracks

Train coming down the tracks with a man standing beside them.
Name: Train Depot - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/train station

Train depot in Castle Gate
Name: Tipple - Location: Castlegate/Pearl Stagg/trainyard

Photo was taken later in years when photos became colored. It looks like it is picture of a painting. It shows the tipple, the coal yard and loaded train cars. It is taken from Coke Oven Row.

Steven Seguine

tipple&tunnel.jpg
This photograph shows the tipple in the foreground and the cut in the mountain following the removal of the tunnel.

Richard Menzies

Name: Band - location: Castlegate/Richard Menzies/Castle Gate Band

Utah Fuel Co. Castle Gate brass band in 1916 in front of the gazebo.

Dave Hasemyer

Clyde Hasemyer

Phil Jaskoviak

Name: Play - location: Castlegate/Jaskoviak,Phil/LindsayJanet

This photograph was probably taken following a play or a roadshow production at one of the coal camp amusement halls. The back of the photo says Sunnyside. The only identified person in the photo was Janet Lindsay, she is the fourth from the left. Janet Lindsay lived in house #140 in Castle Gate. If you have any information about this photo please contact Phil Jaskoviak or Kathy Hamaker. Thank you.
Name: Ina Lindsay - location: Castlegate/Jaskoviak,Phil/Utah1

This photograph is believed to be Ina Lindsay standing on the porch with other unidentified people sitting on the steps. The house could possible be in Castle Gate or Spring Canyon. If you have any information about this photo please contact Phil Jaskoviak or Kathy Hamaker. Thank you.
Unknown bar
Name: Unknown bar1 - location: Castlegate/Jaskoviak,Phil/bar1

It is unknown where in Carbon County this photo belongs. There are two unidentified men standing in front of the bar and two unidentified bartenders behind the bar. If you have any information about this photo please contact Phil Jaskoviak or Kathy Hamaker. Thank you.
Unknown Bar
Name: Unknown bar2 - location: Castlegate/Jaskoviak,Phil/Amusement Hall people

It is unknown where in Carbon County this photo belongs. There are seven unidentified men standing in front of the bar and three unidentified bartenders behind the bar. If you have any information about this photo please contact Phil Jaskoviak or Kathy Hamaker. Thank you.

Don Butler Collection

Name: Castle Gate - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBcasgate

The Castle Gate rock formation.
Name: Town - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBcastlegate1

Main street in Castle Gate. Photo shows the gas station, part of the confectionary and the doorsteps of the hospital.
Name: Aerial View - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBcastlegate2

Aerial view of Castle Gate.
Name: Mining - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBcastlegate3

Photo of the inside of the mine. Miners are using picks and shovels to load the coal car.
Name: Mining - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBcastlegate4

Group of seven miners working inside the Castle Gate mine.
Name: Mining - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBcastlegate5

Large group of miners and horses by the tipple and mine entrance.
Name: Boy Scouts - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBscouts

Boy Scouts in the mid 1930's. Mike Turnbull is the leader on left rear.
Name: Town - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBCastleGate166

An overview photo of the town of Castle Gate.
Name: Power Plant - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBCastleGate167

Utah Power and Light Carbon Power Plant under construction. It was built in 1953.
Name: Rock Formation - location: Castlegate/Don Butler/DBCastleGate165

The Castle Gate rock formation. The Castle is almost closed.

Fern Hreinson Sullivan Collection

Name: Town - location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/amusement

Amusement hall and post office.
Name: LDS bishopric - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/bishopric1

L to R: John S. Hreinson, Melvin Taylor, Thomas Bendall, Bishop Fay E. Thacker, John Edger Johnson.
Name: LDS bishopric - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/bishopric2

L to R: William Melvin Taylor, LaVell C. Miller, Bishop Weston L. Potter, John T. Houghton, John S. Hreinson.
Name: LDS Bishops - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/bishops

L to R: Weston C. Potter, Fay E. Thacker, William B. Stapley.
Name: LDS Relief Society - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/CG0015

Leaders in the Relief Society of the LDS church. Front row far right is Ethel Singleton Hreinson.
Name: Town - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/office&store

North American Coal Corp., Utah Division, coal company office building and company store.
Name: Hospital - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/hospital

Hospital and confectionary
Name: Homes - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/houses

overlooking view of some of the homes
Name: Town - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/mainstreet

Mainstreet of Castle Gate.
Name: LDS church - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/newchurch

New Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Name: Water Filter Plant - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/filter

Water Filter Plant with James Cousins standing in front.
John Hreinson Home
Name: Home - Location: Castlegate/Fern Hreinson/HreinsonHome

Home of John and Ethel Singleton Hreinson.

Jack Zobell Collection

Name: Home - Location: Castlegate/Jack Zobell/ATJones

A. T. Jones home - Jones was manager of company store.
Name: Flag - Location: Castlegate/Jack Zobell/flagzobellL

Their hearts sing "God Bless America" as the Castle Gate school color guards run up Old Glory. They are Jack Zobell, Ray Parry, Billie Parry and Frank Perkins.
Name: church - Location: Castlegate/Jack Zobell/LDSchurchmembers

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Name: Homes - Location: Castlegate/Jack Zobell/mainstr

Jack Zobell on main street. Photo shows some of the homes along the main road.
Name: School - Location: Castlegate/Jack Zobell/school

Principal Accord standing out in front of the school.

Layne Miller Collection

Town
Name: town - Location: Castlegate/LayneMiller/Casga2

This photo is an overview of Castle Gate. The photo was taken from the north looking south towards the power plant.
Name: town - Location: Castlegate/LayneMiller/Castlgpo

Post office
Name: town - Location: Castlegate/LayneMiller/Payroff

North American Coal Corp., Utah Division, coal company office building and company store.

Gene Halverson Collection

Name: The Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/cgate2

Looking at the Castle Gate. The photo is taken high up on the mountain top looking north towards the gate.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/GeneCastleGate

This is a beautiful photo of the Castle Gate taken in the fall. Photo also shows the Price River.
Name: Homes - Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/CastleGateGeneHalv

Overview of the homes of Castle Gate. The LDS church and the Castle Gate rock formation can also be seen in the photo. I only have this photo in a very small size.
Name: Hospital - Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/hospitalGeneHalverson

Hospital. I only have this photo in a very small file size.
Name: Church - Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/LDSchurchGeneHalv

The new Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I only have this photo in a very small file size.
Name: Tipple - Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/TippleGeneHalverson

The tipple in the wintertime.
Name: Town - Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/WasStoreGeneHalverson

Main street of town with the Wasatch Store in center. Photo also shows steam from the power plant, the rock formation after the tunnel was removed, gas station and the front of the hospital. Photo was taken from the steps of the confectionary.
Post Office
Name: Post Office- Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/GHpostoffice

Post office on main street.
Library
Name: Library - Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/GHlibrary

Library
Tipple
Name: Mining- Location: Castlegate/GeneHalvorson/GHtipple

Coal mine tipple and other mine buildings

Mary Stagg Kauer

Name: Meat Market- Location: Castlegate/Mary Stagg Kauer/Mmarket

Meat Market

Joanne Houghton Hyatt Collection

Name: Church- Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/Oldchrch

Old Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Bricks from this building was saved, cleaned and reused on the new church building.
Name: Church- Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/ReliefSocietySisters

The Castle Gate Relief Society sisters. The sister on the far right of the middle rows looks like Dora Mae Martin. If anyone would like to try and identify anyone in this photo please ask for a large copy.
Name: Bert Martin Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/BertMartin-3

left to right: Wm. Anderson, Bert Martin, Mrs. Bert Martin, ?. Taken in front of New Grand Hotel, Salt Lake City Learn more about Uncle Bert Martin here
Name: Bert Martin- Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/BertMartin-5

Bert & Dora Mae (Aunty) Martin the Moving Picture Expert
Name: Bert Martin- Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/BertMartin-4

Bert Martin Learn more about Uncle Bert Martin here
Name: Bert Martin- Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/Mary,Dessie,MaryAnn

Mary, Dessie and Mary Ann in front of home in Castle Gate. Learn more about Uncle Bert Martin here
Name: Bert Martin- Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/BertMartin-2

1936 - left to right: Aunty Martin, Ella _____, Louise Litizzette, Uncle Bert, Victor Litizzette. Seated: Stanley Litizzette, Kathrine Groose, Buddy Grosse, Verna Litizette took the picture.
Name: Baseball- Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/JHCastleGate170

Approximately 1938 Castle Gate Baseball - first row top: Frenchy Newgart, Bobby Griffiths, Ned Trauntvein, Wilford Phillips, Evan Lewis second row - Willis Larsen, Tom Hilton, Clyde Burgess, Butch Batiste Third row front - Pug Pero, Don Ross, Silas Ross, Step Johnson Bat boy - (left) Hayden Larsen, (right) Donald Larsen

Name: Baseball- Location: Castlegate/JoanneHyatt/ballteam

Castle Gate baseball. Back row: Tom Hilton, LeGrande Jone (Tracy), Peter (Pete) Tabone, Tom Perrero, ?, Frank (Pug) Pero, Claude Heiner (Utah Fuel sponsor), James (Jim) Paletta, Louis (Frenchie) Nougaret Middle row: Evan (Cag) James, John J. (Jim) Nielsen, Louis (Lefty) Slavensky, Edgar (Step) Johnson, Santo Lupo, Jack (Woody) Woodward Front row: Bat boys ?, Paul Tabone, Tommy Perrero, Scott Johnson, Roween Nougaret - score keeper.

Ernest Cima Collection

Name: Band- Location: Castlegate/CimaErnie/CGBand

Castle Gate Italian Brass Band about 1900 - James Cima is on the 3rd row center.

J. Eldon Dorman Collection

Name: Coke Ovens- Location: Castlegate/DormanJEldon/cokeovens

Coke Ovens, railroad and coal cars
Name: Flood - Location: Castlegate/DormanJEldon/flood02

In 1917 the Gooseberry Dam above Scofield and Clear Creek broke and sent water down the Price River. Severe water damage occurred in Castle Gate as a result of the flood.
Name: Town- Location: Castlegate/DormanJEldon/Town of Castle Gate2

Town of Castle Gate - This photo was taken really early in the development of Castle Gate.
Name: Flood - Location: Castlegate/DormanJEldon/flood01

In 1917 the Gooseberry Dam above Scofield and Clear Creek broke and sent water down the Price River. Severe water damage occurred in Castle Gate as a result of the flood.

Newspaper or Postcard collection

Name: Post Office - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/postoffice

Post Office photograph from 1959 scanned from the Sun Advocate Newspaper Dec. 2004.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/cgate

The Castle Gate in Price Canyon
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/cgate3

This photo of the Castle Gate was taken in April of 1923 by the National Geographic
Name: Store - Location: Castlegate/COAL/CGstore

"A pre-holiday peek at the Castle Gate store. these sales girls Lola DeAngeles and Rae Dell Long are all read to talk turkey! Photo copied from COAL, published monthly by Utah Fuel Co. vol 8 Dec 1946 No. 9
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/1966Castle Gate

Sun Advocate: Photo was taken in 1966 when the new road Highway 50&6 was completed. The newpaper article is entitled "'Gibralter' Pierced for Third time".
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/3oldroadsL

Sun Advocate: Photo was in the 1966 newspaper when the new road was opened up. Visiable in the picture is the three different road bed of the roads going through the canyon.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/Castle Gate Before

This is a shot of Castle Gate BEFORE the road construction in 1966.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/Castle Gate After

This is a shot of Castle Gate AFTER the road construction in 1966.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/US50&6

An artist conception of what Highway 50 & 6 was to look like going through Price Canyon.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/veryoldCastleGate

A very old picture of a car driving through the Castle Gate.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/newspaper/tunnel

The tunnel at Castle Gate.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/postcards/coaltipple

Coal Tipple - photo was scanned from a post card
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/postcards/castleGate5

This picture of the Castle Gate was scanned from a one cent postcard. On the back of the card it says: "Guarding the entrance of Price River Canon, Utah, stands Castle Gate, similar in many respects to the Gateway of the Garden of the God. Two huge pillars of rock composing it are continuations of spurs of the cliffs behind. One measures 500 feet and the other 450 feet from base to top. Card was published by Van Noy Interstate Co., Salt Lake City.
Name: Dance - Location: Castlegate/COAL/Gold&Green

1950 Gold and Green Ball in Castle Gate. Miss LaRae Bendall, queen; Mrs. George Smith, left, and Miss Darlene Lewis, right, attendants. Standing, left to right; George Smith, Stanley Anderson and Andy Lewis. Flower girls are Claudia Taylor, left, and Judy Craig, right. Master Donald Houghton is the crown bearer. Photo copied from the COAL, Published Monthly by Utah Fuel Co. and Calumet Fuel Co. Vol 11, February, 1950, No. 10
Name: Confectionary - Location: Castlegate/webpage photos/cgamusehall

The confectionary was the fun gathering place of the community.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/webpage photos/looking northwest

This photograph was purchased on E-bay. It is a picture, looking northwest at the Castle Gate.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/postcards/Castgate

The Castle Gate - after March 1, 1907
Funeral
Name: Funeral - Location: Castlegate/webpage photos/funeral

This photo was taken in the Castle Gate Cemetery in March or April of 1924 during the funerals for the men killed in the Castle Gate Mine Explosion. It shows the mine buildings as they existed in 1924.
Name: 1910 - Location: Castlegate/postcards/1910-calendar

about 1910
An early view of Castle Gate looking down from "the shute". The town was so named because of the "castlelated" cliffs forming the gateway to the Price River Valley. It was the first major coal camp in our area and began shipping coal in 1888. (Description and photo scanned from historical calendar created by Carbon County.)

Richard Ariotti Collection

Name: Tunnel - Location: Castlegate/RichardAriotti/tunnel2

The tunnel at Castle Gate.

Kathy Hamaker Collection

Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/Kathy Hamaker/CG22Jun2003-038

Photo of the Castle Gate was taken on 22 Jun 2003.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/Kathy Hamaker/CG22Jun2003-012

This photo of the Castle Gate was taken on 22 Jun 2003.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/Kathy Hamaker/CG22Jun2003-012

Photo was taken in front of the spot where the tunnel was located at Castle Gate. It was taken on the 22 Jun 2003.
This group of women are believed to be a group of Relief Society sisters in Castle Gate. If you know anything about the photo please e-mail Kathy Hamaker Thank you.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/Kathy Hamaker/CGMay2002L

Photo of the cemetery was taken on Memorial Day of May 2002.
no2 Mine Entrance
Name: Mine - Location: Castlegate/Kathy Hamaker/#2mineentrance

No 2 mine entrance, built in 1912, exploded in 1924 killing 172 men.
Cemetery
Name: Mine - Location: Castlegate/Kathy Hamaker/cgcemetery

Cemetery were many of the men who were killed in the 1924 mine explosion are buried.

Bob Bezzant Collection

Name: School Class - Location: Castlegate/Bob Bezzant/CastleGateClass

1909-1910 School class at Castle Gate. Drucilla Margaret Ingle is the second row down from the top, second girl over from the left.

Delna Macfarlane. Collection

Name: Scouts - Location: Castlegate/DelnaMacfarlane/scouttroop

Scout troop of Oscar W. Evans about 1930 or 1931.
Name: Tipple - Location: Castlegate/DelnaMacfarlane/tipple

Tipple at Castle Gate.
Name: Evans Home - Location: Castlegate/DelnaMacfarlane/EvansHome

X marks the spot were the Evans family lived. Delna Evans, age 3, and her mother are sitting on the porch. The Stapley family lived on the hill above the Evans family.
Name: Town - Location: Castlegate/DelnaMacfarlane/gazebo

This photo is taken looking toward the hospital. Also shown in the photo is the gas station and the gazebo.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/DelnaMacfarlane/CastleGateRock

Photo is taken from across the street of the water filter plant looking towards Rolapp and the Castle Gate rock formation. The school can be seen on the right hand side of the photo.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/DelnaMacfarlane/CastleGateRock2

Photo is taken looking at the Castle Gate rock formation and the homes of Rolapp can be see in the foreground.
Name: School Class - Location: Castlegate/DelnaMacfarlane/SchoolClass1935-36

1935-36 Castle Gate class taught by Sadie Ogden
Front Row, left to right:
Darlene Steveson, Betty Allen, ______, Dorothy Beach, Ruby Pero, ______, Ramona Flick, Bonnie Rice, Delna Evans, Rayona Taylor, Alice Evans.
Second Row, left to right:
Elwood Carroll, _______, Rudolph Zobell, _________, Reese (V) Evans, Phil _________, Kent Thacker, Chris Hreinsen, Tommy Grundy.
Third Row, left to right:
_________, ________, Homer Stapley, Hadyn Evans, Grant Babcock. The obituary for Miss Sadie Ogden can be found
here. Please e-mail Kathy Hamaker if you know the names of the other students.

Richard Bissell Collection

Name: Miners - Location: Castlegate/Richard Bissell/Miners1951

The Utah Fuel Company Division of Kaiser Steel Corporation of Castle Gate #2 mine - 18 Jul 1951

Sue Harvey & Gerald Farren Collection

Name: Miners - Location: Castlegate/Gerald Ferran/hospital12

The Castle Gate Hospital about 1910.
Name: Sisters - Location: Castlegate/Sue Harvey/GFHampsonsisters

The five Hampson Sisters & Rose Hreinson Hampson. Back row: Rose wife of Henry Franklin Hampson, Betty Craft, Agnes Gorham, Ila Marshall. Front row: Nel Wilber, Charlotte Clark
Name: Hampsons - Location: Castlegate/Sue Harvey/GFHampson2

Henry Franklin & Rosa Hreinson Hampson
Name: Hampsons - Location: Castlegate/Sue Harvey/GFHampson1

The Hampson Family
Name: House - Location: Castlegate/Sue Harvey/GFHouse1

One of the Hampson family homes in Castle Gate.
Name: House - Location: Castlegate/Sue Harvey/GFHouse2

One of the Hampson family homes in Castle Gate.
Name: Hampsons - Location: Castlegate/Sue Harvey/GFRosa

One of the Hampson family homes in Castle Gate.Rosa Hreinson Hampson
Name: Hampsons - Location: Castlegate/Sue Harvey/GFRosa&Henry

Henry Franklin Hampson and his wife Rosa Hreinson Hampson

Judith Bertels Collection

tunnel3.jpg
Name: Tunnel - Location: Castlegate/Judith Bertels/tunnel3

The tunnel at Castle Gate.

Lexie Borg. Collection

Name: LDS leaders - Location: Castlegate/Borg,Lexie/leaders

Church members in a classroom at the time of the dedication of the "new" LDS church building in 1949. Front: Howard Stevens, Edgar Johnson, Fay Thacker, LaVell Miller. Middle: Mel Taylor, Calvin Craig, name unknown. Back: name unknown, Weldon Thacker, Darrell Davis, Lee Miller, Scott Johnson. If you have any other information about the "unknowns" in the photo please e-mail Kathy Hamaker.
Name: LDS church - Location: Castlegate/Borg,Lexie/CastleGateWard

Castle Gate LDS church ward in 1949 at the time of the dedication of the building. Shown in picture are Weldon Thacker (first boy on the left, fourth row back), Marilyn & Fay (see downward arrows), and Thalia Thacker (Last woman on the right, third row back). Ethel Singleton Hreinson (third row from back first woman on left), Anita Mae Hreinson (next to her mother Ethel Singleton Hreinson), James Cousins (boy in stripe shirt, third row back, on right) Other names unknown if you can add any more names to the photo please e-mail Kathy Hamaker.

Frances Cunningham Collection

Name: Parade Float - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCfloat

Group of women and girls all dressed up and standing in front of a parade float.
Name: Mine Buildings - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCminebuildings

Mine Buildings and machinery
Name: Main Street - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCtown

Main Street in Castle Gate. Photo is taken during the wintertime and shows the gas station, confectionary, and the hospital.
Name: Banquet - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCbanquet

Large group of men sitting at Banquet tables.
Name: Roadshow - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCroadshow

Large group of women with girls and boys all dressed up and perhaps singing in an LDS roadshow or other stage performance.
Name: Banquet - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCbanquet2

Large group of men and women sitting at Banquet tables.
Name: Train Depot - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCTraindepot

Train depot with people waiting to get on the train
Name: Rock - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/RCrock

This photo shows the roof of a home that has had a large boulder pass through it. A man can be seen through the hole standing on the other side of the house.
Name: Water Filter Plant - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCwaterfilter

Water filter building.
Name: Town - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCoverview

An overview of the town of Castle Gate and shows the company mine buildings, hotel and confectionary.
Name: Hospital - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FChospital

Hospital
Name: Tipple - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCtipple

The tipple - on the side of the building it says: "Home of the famous Castle Gate Coal, mined exclusively by Utah Fuel Co."
Name: Mine Rescue - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FCminerescue

Five miners dress in their mine rescuers equipment
Old Hotel
Name: Old Hotel - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/FColdhotel

Old Hotel in Castle Gate.
Name: The Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/FrancesCunningham/TheCastleGate

The Castle Gate rock before highway construction. The famous Castle Gate Rock formation is part of the Carbon County heritage. From up the canyon the gate formation seemed to open as it was neared. The rock formation on the right is now gone. The widening of the canyon road resulted in its being destroyed.

Larry Basinger. Collection

Name: The Castle Gate - Location: Castlegate/Larry Basinger/Mantle

This is a photograph of one of the fireplace mantles that was in the Castle Gate hospital. "My interest in pictures of the fireplace mantles is because I own one of the two that were originally in the hospital. There were two fireplaces in the hospital, one upstairs and one downstairs. The one downstairs was painted lime green just like the walls while the one upstairs was left with the original finish. When they sold the items out of the hospital my family purchased them (early 70's). I have the one from the second floor on my wall and that is why I was interested in a picture of it in its original setting." If you have an original photograph of the mantles in the hospital please contact Larry Basinger.

Michael Francis. Collection

Name: Frantzescakis - Location: Castlegate/MichaelFrancis/Frantzescakis

Dimitrios Frantzescakis (Jim Frageskakie in Carbon County probate records) dressed in his Cretan outfit. This was probably taken in Castle Gate, judging by the apparant age. He died three days before the 1924 mine explosion, apparently from poisoning. He was the brother of Mike Francis (Emmanuel Frageskakis), who later owned the Maple Creek Mine.

Carl J. Henderson. Collection

Name: Young Family - Location: Castlegate/Carl J. Henderson/AndrewYoungFamily

Andrew & Elizabeth Young and their family taken there in Castle Gate in their Sunday best in about 1893. The following are identified from left to right: William, Sarah, Hannah, Andrew Sr., Elizabeth, James, Elizabeth, Mary, and Andrew Jr. Andrew and his wife ran the boarding house. He was also a Bishop in the Castle Gate Ward of the LDS Church on two separate occasions.

Mike Martinez Collection

New Hotel
Name: Hotel - Location: Castlegate/Mike Martinez/newhotel

New Hotel in Castle Gate across the road from the company store and mine offices.

Eldon Miller Collection

The following photos have been donated by Eldon Miller to the Carbon County Historical Society and the Carbon County UTGenWeb webpage. These photographs have been donated to Eldon Miller by many different sources. If you donated them to Eldon and would like your name to accompany the photograph please e-mail Kathy Hamaker and I'll add your name. Special thanks goes to Michael Francis for scanning the photographs so they could be added to the webpage.

Name: Oscar Evans - Location: EldonMillerCollection/I-01

Oscar Evans injured in Castle Gate #2 about 1936.
Name: - Location: EldonMillerCollection/J-07

The photo shows some of the damage caused by the flood that went through Castle Gate in 1917
Name: Mine Buildings - Location: EldonMillerCollection/J-08

Castle Gate bath house and lamp house found at the #2 mine.
Name: Mine Entrance - Location: EldonMillerCollection/J-09

No 2 mine entrance for Castle Gate was opened in 1912.
Name: Men & Mules - Location: EldonMillerCollection/J-10

Men and their mules at the tipple in Castle Gate.
Name: Fourth of July - Location: EldonMillerCollection/J-11

A large group of people gathered at the company office for a Fourth of July celebration.
Name: Coke Ovens - Location: EldonMillerCollection/J-12

Coke ovens, railroad and tipple in Castle Gate.
Name: Payroll - Location: EldonMillerCollection/J-13

Men waiting for the payroll to arrive at Castle Gate.
Name: Flood Damage - Location: EldonMillerCollection/N-15

Photo shows damage done to a building during the 1917 Goosebury damn break
Flood Damage
Name: Flood Damage - Location: EldonMillerCollection/N-22

Photo shows damage done to the railroad tracks in the 1917 Goosebury dam break
Name: Band - Location: EldonMillerCollection/N-49

Band playing during a funeral procession in Castle Gate.
Name: Flood Damage - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-01

Photo shows damage done to the railroad tracks in the 1917 Goosebury dam break, the company store, the mine office and the U.S. Fuel tipple.
Name: Overview - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-02

Close up photo of the Price River running through the town of Castle Gate. Company store, office, postoffice, hospital, tipple and school can be seen.
Name: The Rows - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-03

Overview of Castle Gate showing the hospital, piles of logs near the railroad tracks and the first row of houses in the area called "the rows".
Name: The Rows - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-04

The section of Castle Gate called "the rows".
Name: Homes - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-05

An overview of a section of homes in Castle Gate.
Name: Flood damage - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-06

Photo shows damage done by the flood of 1917.
Name: Flood Damage - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-07

Photo shows damage done by the flood of 1917.
Name: Flood Damage - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-08

Photo shows damage done by the flood of 1917 with a Utah Railway caboose in the background.
Name: Flood Damage - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-09

Photo shows damage done by the flood of 1917.
Name: Train Depot - Location: EldonMillerCollectionT-11/

Castle Gate train depot and a train in front.
Name: Last Day - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-12

Last Castle Gate day - August 1974. Pete Tabone (far left) was mayor at that time.
Name: The Castle Gate - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-13

The Rio Grande tracks and trains passing through the Castle Gate rock formation.
Name: - Location: EldonMillerCollection/

Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad tracks running through the Castle Gate rock formation.
Name: The Castle Gate - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-16

The Castle Gate rock formation before road construction destroyed one side. In this photo the gate is nearly closed.
Name: Train - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-17

A group of people getting water from a stream in Castle Gate. A Rio Grande train with a Colorado 5424 Midland train car can be seen on the tracks behing the poeple.
Name: The Castle Gate - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-20

The Castle Gate rock formation in the wintertime.
Name: The Castle Gate - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-19

A train and tracks running through the Castle Gate Rock Formation.
Name: The Castle Gate - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-22

A train passing through the Castle Gate rock formation with black thunder clouds in the sky.
Name: Company Store - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-23

Company store and mine office building in Castle Gate. There is a group of people on the front porch with others hanging out the second floor window.
overview
Name: Town - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-24

Overview of Castle Gate showing company store and mine office building in Castle Gate.
Name: The Castle Gate - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-26

An automobile traveling along highway 6 through Price Canyon approaching (or leaving) the Castle Gate Rock formation. The gate is nearly closed.
Name: Mine Company House - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-27

The Mine Company house, in 1971, was the home of Oliver Sutch.
Name: Castle Gate 1971 - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-28

This photo is looking down the railroad tracks toward the power plant in 1971. The tipple can be seen in the center and homes and buildings can be see on the left side.
Name: Boy Scouts - Location: EldonMillerCollection/T-10

1948 Castle Gate Boy Scout troop. Left to right: Wayne Sillitoe, Jerry Labrum, Duane Bendall, Gene Taylor, Don Thomas, Bobby Davis, Billy Biggs, George Heath Hreinson, Vernon Huff (back), Weldon Thacker, Billy Houghton, Terry Bowns, Sonky Thomas (back), Terrell Johnson, Neil Magann, Robert Whittaker, Derrald Davis, Norman Huff, Albert Stagg (front) Elias Degn (front) Photo from Eldon Miller collection.

Ralph P. Anderson Collection

Name: Town - Location: castlegate/Ralph P. Anderson/overview

n overview of Castle Gate that shows the tipple, a coal train being loaded, the company store, the hospital and the confectionary.
Name: The Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Ralph P. Anders/castleGate2

Looking south at the Castle Gate rock formation before the west side was destroyed to build a road.

Scott Robertson Collection

Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/group of people

This photo is a group of people all in a line in front of a building. If anyone knows any details about this photo please e-mail Kathy Hamaker
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/road grater

This is an awesome picture! It shows a crew of men, about 20 horses and 4 wagons grating, leveling and building a road. We're not sure of the location of the road if anyone knows any details about this photo please e-mail Kathy Hamaker
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/1 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. It shows the location of Jap Camp. It was torn down in about 1929. Utah Fuel Co. carpenters built a garages with the lumber.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/2 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. It shows the house that was for the general superintendent of the Coal Company, Walt Barney home, J. MacDonald who was an armature and motor rewinder and the Mel Webb home.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/3 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. This photo shows the section below hill by Devil Slide. It shows the Floyd Robertson house, Slavensy home in 1922 and the house where Henry & Katie Etzel lived during March of 1924.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/4 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. This photo shows big tunnel to no 2 mine, track for no 1 mine, boiler house, old tipple, garage for cars, Uncle Bert Martins home, post office, old school, store & mine office, butcher shop, hospital, store managers house and the amusement hall.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/5 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. This photo shows the section of town where the Japs and Koreans lived. The cemetery can also be seen behind the mine buildings in the photo.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/7 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. This photo is taken at the mouth of Barn Canyon. It was called barn canyon because this is where they kept the horses for the store delivery, etc. Photo also shows, Red Trimms house, Tommy Hiltons, Andy Lewis, Rita Tabones, General Super Byrson home and the Mar Snow home.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/8 left front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. This photo shows the location of the bin. It was for slack to boiler room and to load railroad cars. This part of town was called coke oven because coke was made in ovens below the road in front of the two story houses. There were about 8 small houses like the ones in Willow Creek. The Greek Coffee house and barber shop can be seen. It was at the same location that the Carbon Power Plant now is. All houses in this picture, except the 3 two story ones damaged by floods about 1927. There is an old car with wagon wheels off that was pulled by one horse used to haul coal to houses. It had a dump box.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/8 right front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. This photo shows the old main road going to town and on to Royal and Price Canyon. At the time this picture was taken Utah Fuel Company generated their own power for the mine and town. The building this was done in is shown in this photo. It shows the old machine shop that was torn down in 1938 & 1939 and Utah Fuel Co. had a washer built there and they washed the first cars of coal Feb. 14, 1940. It was the most modern west of Mississippi at the time.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/9 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. Photo number 9 shows the new school house, the main road thru town and to junction at north of Willow Creek canyon. It shows the apartment buildings known as the Terrace, Principal Earl Acord home and Chick & Clyde Peterson's family home.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/10 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. Photo number 10 shows the new school house, the main road and the water filtering plant. The filter was built in 1919 and was used until about 1986.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/11 front

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. Photo number eleven shows Tallerico house, little mountain called Devil Slide and the spot Keno and Tony Slavensky put their initials on rock with white paint in 1925. The initials are still there. It shows the big shed that the "Fire Dept" had a fire hose on reel with large wheels and u shaped handle to pull it and a fire plug with nozzle and wrenches. These sheds were spaced between 5 & 6 houses all over town. And X marks the spot on the mountain where there used to be a large rock with a cable tied to solid ledge behind and above it a negro Prince Alexander was afraid it would fall on them. He tied the rock about 1920. The rock is still there. U.P.L. has a building there now and it is above North east corner of building on edge of ledge. Prince Alexander died March 8, 1924 in the Castle Gate mine explosion.
There is also a photo of the back of the image that describes what is on the front side.
Name: Castle Gate - Location: castlegate/Scott Robertson/rowofhomes

This is a very large panoramic picture of a portion of Castle Gate. This photo shows the row of homes from the Willow Creek area.

Laine Adair Collection - all photos taken in 1981

Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair1

Portal of Castle Gate Mine at Willow Creek. It served as the main intake and motor road to mine from 1912 to 1973 when the mine was shut down. Mountaineous terrain and Castle Gate sandstone in top left corner of photo.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair2

Inside the mine at top split of A Seam at Willow Creek. It was mined in 1912 and coal thickness was 5 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair3

Cross measure drift along Main East in Castle Gate Mine connecting upper A seam split with C and K seams.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair4

Castle Gate Mine at the Kenilworth seam mined in 1921, 1st right no. 1 slope looking west. The thickness was 27 feet and withstood the 1924 mine explosion forces.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair5

Castle Mine at the Kenilworth seam mined in 1915, 1st left off no. 1 raise looking east. The coal thickness was 20 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair6

Castle Gate Mine at the Kenilworth seam mined in 1921. Room workings off 2st right no. 1 slope looking east. The thickness was 27 feet and withstood the 1924 mine explosion forces.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair7

Castle Mine at the Kenilworth seam mined in 1915, off 1st right no. 1 raise looking east. The coal thickness was 27 feet and top and bottom coal was left unmined.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair8

The underground shop in the Castle Gate Mine K seam. Main East just past No. 1 slope looking east. Shop includes two sets of track, grease pits, offices and warehouse facilities.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair9

Castle Mine at the Kenilworth seam mined in 1971, main north off Main East looking west. The coal thickness was 10 feet and cover is 1500 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair10

The Castle Gate Mine and Kenilworth seam at main east between Main north and No. 3 slope looking east. Mined in 1962. Coal thickness was 15 feet and cover is 2,000 feet. Tunnel has trolly hangers for three sets of track.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair11

Castle Mine at the Kenilworth seam mined in 1962, Main East just west of No. 3 slope looking west. The coal thickness was 10 feet and cover is 2500 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair12

The Castle Gate Mine and Kenilworth seam at main east entry at parting for no. 3 slope looking east. Mined in 1962. Coal thickness was 10 feet and cover is 2,500 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair13

Castle Mine at the Kenilworth seam mined in 1962, No. 3 slope parting at Main East entry looking north. The coal thickness was 10 feet and cover is 2500 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair14

The Castle Gate Mine and Kenilworth seam at Main East between No. 3 slope and No. 5 Raise. Mined in 1965. Coal thickness was 10 feet and cover is 2,500 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair15

Castle Mine at the Kenilworth seam at No. 5 raise off Main East looking north. The coal thickness was 10 feet and cover is 2000 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair16

The Castle Gate Mine and Kenilworth seam at No. 5 raise off Main East. Mined in 1968. Coal thickness was 10 feet and cover is 1,500 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair17

Hoist house inside the Kenilworth Mine, K Seam. Top of the No. 2 slope just above main East looking south. It is a concrete and block facility complete with restroom and educational posters.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair18

The Kenilworth Mine K seam, Main East junction with No. 2 slope track crossing looking north. Mined in 1927. Coal was 15 feet and cover was 1400 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair19

Kenilworth Mine at Kenilworth seam. Main East entry between no. 2 slope and No. 3 raise looking east. Mined in 1930, coal is 14 feet and cover is 1700 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair20

The Kenilworth Mine at Kenilworth seam. Main East entry at parting for No. 3 raise looking east. Mined in 1931. Coal was 14 feet and cover was 1700 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair21

Underground shop at the Kenilworth Mine and Kenilworth seam, Main East just past No. 3 slope towards No. 4 slope looking west. The shop contains an overhead crane, grease pits, warehouse, offices and restroom complete with plumbing.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair22

The Kenilworth Mine at Kenilworth seam at No. 3 slope looking south. Mined in 1935. Coal was 13 feet and cover was 1500 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair23

Return air shaft between Aberdeen Mine and Kenilworth Mine at Main East off West slope looking north and up.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair24

No. 2 tunnel, cross measure drift, Aberdeen and Kenilworth mine, portal in Kenilworth Canyon looking north.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair25

Aberdeen Mine A seam, Main East off West Slope looking east. Coal thickness was 16 feet and cover was 300 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair26

Aberdeen Mine A seam at West Slope looking north. Mined in 1921, coal thickness was 15 feet and cover is 800 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair27

Aberdeen Mine A seam, west slope looking north. Mined in 1921, coal thickness was 15 feet and cover was 1000 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair28

Aberdeen Mine A seam at Main East entry at parting for West Slope looking east. Mined in 1927, coal thickness was 15 feet and cover is 1500 feet.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Laine Adair/adair29

Aberdeen Mine A seam, Main East entry just west of West Slope looking west. Mined in 1927, coal thickness was 15 feet and cover was 1500 feet.

John Taylor

The following collection of photos was donated by John Taylor. John Taylor is an avid postcard collector and has many postcards in his collection from Carbon County. He has scanned and donated photo files of those that are relevent to Carbon County.Thank you, John Taylor, for your donation. If you would like copies of these photos please e-mail Kathy Hamaker. Additional photos from this collection can be found in the Spring Canyon, Hiawatha Mohrland, Kenilworth, and Price collections.

John Taylor collection

rows
Name: Town - Location: castlegate/John Taylor/rows1

The area in Castle Gate referred to as the "rows".
Coke Oven Row
Name: Town - Location: castlegate/John Taylor/cokeovenRow

Coke Oven Row
1937
Name: Town - Location: castlegate/John Taylor/JTCastleGate1937b

The coal tipple of Castle Gate in 1937.
1917
Name: Town - Location: castlegate/John Taylor/JTCastleGate1917L

The town of Castle Gate in 1917. Photo shows the old school, company store, train station, the tipple and the surrounding areas.
Willow Creek
Name: Town - Location: castlegate/John Taylor/JTwillowcreek

Willow Creek area near Castle Gate

Alene Taylor Carlson Collection

1949-9th grade graduates
Name: school - Location: castlegate/Alene Taylor Carlson/1949-9thgrade

1949 9th grade graduates of Castle Gate School
Band
Name: school - Location: castlegate/Alene Taylor Carlson/bandphoto1

Castle Gate Junior High School Band - May 1948
Francis Nielson: Drum Majorette, Banner Carriers: Myrleen Batiste and Barbara Turner
Band
Name: school - Location: castlegate/Alene Taylor Carlson/bandphoto2

1948 Castle Gate School Band on bleachers
Castle Gate School
Name: school - Location: castlegate/Alene Taylor Carlson/Castle Gate School

School

Christine Vanover Collection

#2 mine portal
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Christine Vanover/Mine opening

Entrance to the #2 mine portal at Castle Gate. This is the mine that exploded in 1924 and resulted in 172 deaths.

Richards Collection

Sarah & Juanita Richards
Name: People - Location: castlegate/Richards/Sarah&Juanita

Sarah & Juanita Richards taken in 1949. Picture was taken in the yard of our first house in Castle Gate, Ut. The house did not have a bathroom but it had an outhouse. The house was about 40 feet from the railroad tracks on Depot street. We moved from Somerset, Colorado. Parents: Elmer & Hilja Richards. Brother: Elmer (Fudd) The photo also shows some of the other homes in Castle Gate.

Photos from the Report of the Coal Mine Inspector book

1913 HOmes
Name: Homes - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/1913 homes

Hospital and new residences for mine officials. Photo taken in 1913.
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/bridge

Coal mine bridge expanding railroad tracks and leading into the tipple.
1912 Tunnel
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/tunnel1912

One of the mine entrances to the Castle Gate mine built in 1912. Not sure which mine number it is. The #2 mine entrance has #2 on it. The sign reads: "DANGER" walking on tramroad or thru tunnels is positively prohibitied. Utah Fuel Co.
1905 Coke Ovens
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/1905cokeovens

Coke ovens in Castle Gate with a train on the railroad tracks.
1906 Coke Ovens
Name: mining - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/1906cokeovens

construction of coke ovens. Photo taken in 1906.
Company House
Name: Homes - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/companyhouse

Company house in 1905 Biennial Report pg 25
Company Store
Name: Store - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/companystore

Company Store and office. Photo in 1905 biennial coal mine report book page 24.
Red Cross Nurses
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/redcross

A group of Red Cross nurses receiving training in mine rescue.
Trainyard
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/trainyard

Looking up the canyon at the trainyard and company store in 1906 page 76
1906 Mine Entrance
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/1906mineentrance

The mouth of the mine in 1906 page 65
First Aid Team
Name: Mining - Location: castlegate/Book-Report of Coal Mine Inspector/minerescue

The winning first aid team. Photo found in the Carbon County News 1 Oct 1914 with the heading "County Fair Well Attended". In the photo are Roberts J. Henderson, captain, Jack Ramage, Jack Hreinson, Albert Wardell, James Lakin, Leonard Taylor." It is unknown which name goes with which miner. Jack Hreinson has been identified as the man on the right of the front row.

Megan Dawkins Collection

The following photographs have been copied from a photo album in the possession of Megan Dawkins. The complete photo album can be found here on FamilySearch.org. The photo album was made by Annie Laurie Wallace. Megan does not know who all the people are but the photos are taken in Castle Gate, Utah. The only people identified are Margarette Cox and Jane Beattie.

Bridge
Name: Homes - Location: castlegate/DawkinsMegan/bridge

Bridge across the Price River
tennis courts
Name: Homes - Location: castlegate/DawkinsMegan/tenniscourts

Tennis Courts
baseball players
Name: Homes - Location: castlegate/DawkinsMegan/baseballplayers

Three members of the Castle Gate baseball team.
baseball players
Name: Homes - Location: castlegate/DawkinsMegan/baseballfemale

Three female members of the Castle Gate baseball team.

Castle Gate LDS Ward Relief Society Scrapbook - This index contains a description of photos found in a scrapbook created by the LDS Ward Relief Society of Castle Gate. The scrapbook is in the possession of the Price Family History Library in Price, Utah.



Back to Photo Index


[ Front page ] [ Towns ] [ Points of Interest ] [ Databases ] [ Research records ] [ Histories ] [Maps ]
[ Photographs ] [ Surname Page ] [ Query page ] [ Look-ups ] [ Links ] [ Utah Railway ] [ E-mail ]